Table of Contents
Working with sensitive mics comes with the con that they catch even the faintest of sounds. People who are at the receiving end of it are the gamers who stream their games live, tutors who teach online, and businesspersons who have to attend virtual meetings. The sound of their keyboard not only annoys the viewers but also the person who is using the keyboard. Owing to these problems questions like How to Stop Mic from Picking Up Keyboard Noise are common.
So, can you do anything about it? Can you eliminate the noise coming out of your keyboard while streaming online? Fortunately, yes! There are a number of techniques that can be used to work around this problem. And in this article, we would let you all of these tried and tested techniques. So, without further ado, let’s get right into it.
Choose The Right Microphone – How To Stop Mic From Picking Up Keyboard Noise
Choosing the right microphone goes a long way in reducing the keyboard and all the other noise around you. You should be aware of your needs and choose the microphone accordingly. For gaming streamers, the best option is the Cardioid or Unidirectional microphones. Such microphones only focus on what is in front of them.
The pick-up sound is pointed directly towards them and rejects all the other sound sources. Thus, even if your keyboard is making the noise, the right placement of the right microphone would help reduce that noise greatly.
Adjust The Input Sensitivity – How To Stop Mic From Picking Up Keyboard Noise
Sensitivity is essentially the ability of a microphone to catch different sound frequencies. As you know each sound has a different frequency and so does keyboard noise. Adjusting the sensitivity such that it does not catch the keyboard noise can help reduce the noise coming from it. And consequently, keep the audio clear and make the communication with your peers more effective.
Consider Changing The Keyboard – How To Reduce Keyboard Noise On Mic
The best way to reduce the noise coming from the keyboard is to get a different keyboard altogether. Several mechanical keyboards are available on the market that is silent in their operations. Such a keyboard uses a plastic membrane that gives tactical feedback to the users but does not produce the sound.
With these keyboards, there is no compromise on the feedback but the noise coming from it decreases significantly.
Use Keyboard Mats – How To Make Your Mic Not Pick Up Keyboard
Sometimes the keyboard is not responsible for producing too much noise but rather the material wherever it is placed. When you press multiple keys rapidly the waves travel down the material keyboard which produces the noise. It is very common with tables made from metals.
The best way to work around it is to use the right type of keyboard mat. These mats absorb these waves and reduce the noise consequently. Such mats also do not let the keyboard slip and keep them firmly in place. Therefore, even when you are too involved in the game and rapidly press multiple buttons, it would slip away to the table. And thus, the keyboard would not produce any noise.
Change The Position of Microphone – How to Stop Your Mic From Picking Up Keyboard
The position of the microphone plays a key role in reducing the ambient sound. And sometimes only changing the position of the microphone can solve the noise coming from keyboards. It is especially common with unidirectional or cardioid microphones.
Such a microphone picks the sound only from one direction. And when the active part of the mic is not placed right it can catch an ambient sound. If it is directed towards your keyboard, it will definitely catch the sound coming from it.
Therefore, identify the active side of the microphone and position it properly so the noise coming from the keyboard does not make into the audio.
Another thing to look for is the proximity effect which is common with ribbon microphones. With these microphones, you need to place them as far away from the sound source as possible. However, with the cardioid and omnidirectional microphone, this effect is not existent which means there is nothing to be worried about.
Adjust The Settings of Keyboard – How to Stop Mic from picking up keyboard
For those who do not want to purchase a new keyboard, modifying the existing one is also an option. Installing O-rings is a DIY option but it is really effective. Using O-rings or silicone rings on the stems of the keycaps can greatly reduce the sound coming from the keyboard.
The O-rings act as a cushion between the keys and the keypad floor and reduce the noise as the keys come in contact with the plate. And the best thing about installing the rings is that you do not need any professional help.
All you have to do is to watch a tutorial online and you would be ready for the DIY solution.
Tweak The Settings On Software – How to Stop keyboards sound on mic
Audio processing software gives you great control over each aspect of the microphone. You can adjust the sensitivity, volume, bass, etc. You can use these applications to modify the settings of the microphone and to reduce the capturing of keyboard noise.
Use Pop Filter – How to Reduce Keyboard Noise
A pop filter is a piece of noise-reducing equipment that is extremely easy to use. All you have to do is to install it over the microphone and it will greatly reduce the mic while improving the audio quality. However, finding the right pop filter can be challenging. But once you find the best fit to go with the microphone you would experience a significant improvement.
Use Post-Processing Software – How To Stop Mic From Picking Up Keyboard Noise
People who do not live stream can take help from post-processing applications to reduce the noise. These applications come with a range of options to reduce the background noises. Some premium applications even give you control to restore the option if the audio quality is poor. So, using these applications can help a lot to improve the audio quality by a great deal.
Change The Settings From Control Panel – How to Get Rid of Keyboard Noise On Mic
For Windows Users
Before adjusting the settings in the application it is best if you give the windows own settings a shot first. These are the steps that you would have to follow to adjust the settings of the microphone from the windows control panel.
- Use the search bar to find the sound options
- As the new window opens, find the recording tap and click on it.
- Right click on the microphone options and proceed to the properties.
- You would see a volume adjuster. Slide left to reduce the volume of the mic and right to increase it. Reducing the volume would decrease the keyboard noise in the audio but you would have to speak louder. Increasing it, on the other hand, would require you to speak gently but increase the keyboard noise. Thus, it is important to find the right balance.
- You can test the edited setting by tapping on the “Listen to this device” option. Having this real-time feedback can help you adjust the settings perfectly.
For Apple Users
- Click on the system preferences and find the sound inclinations.
- Search for Ambient noise reduction devices.
- You would see a pop up where you can level the sound volume. Balance the volume perfectly so as to reduce the noise significantly but do not have to speak too loud in order for the microphone to record it.
Using Sensitivity Settings in Discord – How To Stop Mic From Picking Up Keyboard Noises
- If you stream on discord, there are certain options that you can use to reduce noise coming from the keyboard. Here is what you would need to do.
- Launch the discord application and click on the gear icon next to your name.
- Open the App settings and click on the Voice and Video option.
- You would see a sensitivity option on this tab. Use the slider to adjust the sensitivity of the microphone. Reducing the sensitivity helps in reducing the background noises.
- When you are done with adjusting the settings click on OK and proceed to the Mic testing.
- With the mic testing you would know if the adjusted settings are right. If it is working, close the tab and do your thing. If not, repeat some process until you get the desired results.
Conclusion – How To Get Rid of Keyboard Noise On Mic
Background noise is a real source of annoyance and something that all of the mic owners have to cope with. Fortunately, there are several ways to work around the problem. We have discussed some of them.
We hope that these will help and improve the quality of your audio. If there is anything else that you would want to add in “how to stop mic from picking up keyboard noise” let us know in the given section. We would love to respond. Thank you!
You may like these posts:)